2.28.2006

It finally happened.

I tried and tried to remain strong but now I wave my white flag and declare defeat.
I have finally succumbed to the sock disease allure of sock knitting.
When I first started knitting and came across the vast hordes of obsessed sock knitters, I though, why? Why knit something that costs less than a few dollars to buy at the store? Why knit and knit just to have something that will be trodden and mangled into a holey mess? Really, why bother? I wondered. That is, until I saw the luscious selections of sock yarn in gorgeous colors...Koigu, Lorna's Laces, the list goes on and on.
So I bought some.


Not to make socks, of course, I told myself. Oh, no...to make satchels and scarves and...and...
and then I saw Nancy Bush's beautiful sock patterns and my resolve trembled. I bought some tiny DPNs…size zero and size two. Still, I told myself, these are just for one of these days when I might want to try a sock or two. Yes, someday in the far-off future when I find a pattern I really love.
Then today I saw these and I cracked.


Is it crazy to try to make Pomatomus on my first attempt at socks?

3 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

Thanks! I've done lace before (did branching out as my first project) so hopefully that won't be a huge road block. I'm much more worried about the actual sock part like turning the heel. I've never done short rows before. Well, can't hurt to try. :)

6:03 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I think you'll do fine. Once you "get" it, turning the heel isn't bad at all. In fact, it's rather fun. The turning took me a couple tries on my first ever sock, then I got it, and away I went. Watch out. Sock knitting is highly addictive! :-D

11:58 PM  
Blogger Juls said...

Wow, this is just like me! I saw sock yarn and saw Cookie buy a lot and how much she loved it. Then I bought some more. Then I bought tiny needles, then I read tutorials and next thing you know, I'm knitting Monkey socks.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home