4.22.2006

Knitting in the dark.

Knitting in the dark.
The only thing I know how to do well is...
*

Well, not really.
But, someone has finally invented a solution for those of us wanting to knit in the dark but deficient in the ability to manipulate fiber without looking!


(photo by Lars Klove for the NYT)


No, your eyes are not deceiving you. Those are indeed lighted knitting needles. According to the Pulse section of the Sunday NYT Style pages, all it took was one Monica Dremann complaining to one Edith Eig, an owner of La Knitterie Parisienne in Los Angeles, about not being able to knit in the theater during promos due to the lack of light, Edith then mentioning this to her retired engineer husband, et voila! The Knit Lite was born. These needles have LED lights at the tips and are supposed to come in a variety of sizes, all available next month from La Knitterie Parisienne.
I still cracking up over the concept of putting lights at the end of knitting needles. Is it just me or do they look just like pretend wizard wands?

*with apologies to They Might Be Giants

5 Comments:

Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Yes, they look like knitting wands. The thing is, the problem I have with knitting in the dark is not noticing mistakes after you've made them until quite a bit later. They should engineer glow-in-the-dark yarn. Or maybe I should try knitting with fibre-optic cable...

10:55 AM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Those are pretty nifty needles, I would have fun waving them around :-)

1:46 PM  
Blogger FinnyKnits said...

I want to make fun of these, but I can't. I know I'll want some so that I can knit in the car during our long late night trips to Tahoe. However, I've been known to wear my headlamp for the very same purpose...

9:45 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Oh Marie

I NEED these needles. I love to knit on the porch and my knight in shining armour doesnt like the overhead lights on . "The place is lit up like a runway!"

YOU KNOW IM ORDERIN THEM >>NOW

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These needles are neat-O!
I'd buy some!

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home