4.10.2006

You've been good.

You're still plugging away at your UFOs. You tell yourself that stockinette stitch is really quite engaging to work, that the Nth round of the lace pattern is really as interesting as the first. But do you still harbor the nagging feeling that you are bored and restless with knitting? Do you worry that the joy of knitting has abandoned you? Do you hear voices calling to you from non-knitting projects? If you have experienced any of these symptoms, you just might have KES or Knitter’s Ennui Syndrome. KES is a serious disorder that could lead to SPLURGE (Side/Sewing Project Linked Unconscious Regrettable Great Expenditures) and SAD (Stash Abandonment Disorder). Fortunately, there is now a cure for KES. LacyBonnetol* has been clinically tested to combat KES and bring back your love of the process.


Do what’s best for you…use LacyBonnetol* to chase away your knitting blues.

*Remember, LacyBonnetol is not for everyone. Those affected with COO (Cuteness Over-Obsession) should not use this product. Common side effects include obsessive knitting of small items to the wee-hours, baby-friendly yarn hording, and unconscious lapses into high-pitch baby talk when in the presence of yarn and patterns. However, none of those in studies found the side effects sufficiently severe to discontinue use. Ask yourself if LacyBonnetol is right for you.



All mock-pharmaceutical advert silliness aside, I had been rather stuck in a rut with my knitting. While I was looking forward to the finished products, I was nowhere near enough to the end of any of the projects to have that burst of anticipation to energize the knitting. Somewhere along the way of what seemed like miles of stockinette and lace repeats, I had lost my love of the knitting process. Fortunately, the BF’s brand new niece arrived last Thursday and this happy event finally propelled me into starting the Lacy Bonnet from Erika Knight’s Knitting for Two. As you might guess, I think the pattern is brilliant. I had been so mired in long-term projects that I was very reluctant initially to start anything else. However, as soon as I cast on and knitted the first few rows, I was hooked. The bonnet managed to be a very interesting knit without crossing over to the overly-fiddly. I loved watching the beautiful design emerge from a constantly changing (but in a comfortingly predictable way) series of K2tog, yarn-overs, and variants. The best thing, of course, is that working through the pattern made me remember why I started knitting in the first place --- not just for the knitting items at the end but also for the sheer fun of fiber manipulation. So here are a few more shots of the bonnet (it still need to have the ends weaved in and the ribbon attached), helpfully modeled by Bun the bunny who has a handily pointed snout.



Now, if I can only knit baby shoes that are the appropriate size…



Do you have your own version of Lacybonnetol?

4 Comments:

Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Hee hee! I love reading your posts.

Hmmm, my own version of Lacy Bonnetol? I'm still looking. My answer to rows of stockinette is reading at the same time. I spent most of yesterday afternoon sitting cross-legged on the floor with the Sunday papers spread out in front of me going round and round on the Picovoli. Solves the no hands approach perfectly.

3:00 AM  
Blogger chamomile said...

What a beautiful colour - it looks fantastic

5:41 AM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Ha! Funny! The bonnet is so cute, sometimes you have to take a break and make something quick to get yourself out of the knitting doldrums.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is so adorable! I'm SO ready for grandbabies and my oldest is only 21! I'll just have to get busy and have stuff made ahead of time. So cute.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home