4.12.2006

Pining for Spring

The torrents of rain plaguing my usually beautiful city have made me yearn more than ever for sun and color. Actually, at this point, even some fog instead would be quite welcome. The latest magazine arrival in my mailbox certainly didn't help things either. I spent all afternoon wishing I were a chicken.


Specifically that lucky Spring chicken traipsing through the garden. Since diving into Jean-Jacques Sempé’s beautiful magazine cover wasn’t possible, I worked on my bag for the Knit-I-Sew-Along instead. What does that have to do with Spring, you ask? Well, I went by the fabric store this weekend in search of snaps for the baby shoes I am knitting and came across this happy print.


It made me think of sunlight glimmering on leaves and warm breezes, so of course it came home with me. This cotton print works perfectly as the appliqué and accent pieces for the bird purse and thusly, I was spurred into action. After a few nights of inspired fabric cutting and stitching, my pile of languishing fabric and thread has turned into this.


I’m very happy with how the bag is working up. Everything from the leaves to the bird to the linen brings happy thoughts of warm weather and sun to my mind. There is still a bit of work to be done before the finish as I still need to make up the lining (the blue twill in the background), stitch up the strap, and put it all together but I’m very excited. The first publicly presentable handbag I have ever made! Even if it doesn’t feel like Spring, I can at least pretend it is so with my cheery little bird.
Oh, an added bonus to the day: the weather finally cleared up!

3 Comments:

Blogger Knittypants said...

That's such a cute little bag!

9:52 AM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

The printed fabric is very handsome. And the bird purse looks like it'll be beautiful too. I'm glad that spring is happening somewhere....

10:08 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I loved the cover of the New Yorker too! It's so cheerful.

Love your lacy bonnet!

4:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home