5.04.2006

Secret Pal 8 Questionnaire

More about me than anyone will ever want to know.

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
The yarns that I have most enjoyed knitting with are those that are composed at least partly of wool. I do not like novelty yarns because the aesthetics and tend not to like 100% cotton yarns because of their lack of elasticity both during the knitting process and in the end product.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Currently, in a sad little plastic bag. I have yet to get around to making myself a needle roll.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve only been knitting since October of 2005 but I think I am more intermediate than beginner.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I have one on Amazon but let me know if you want to see it…it’s not publicly available.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Lavender, citrus, anything light and not overly cloying or artificial…or smell too much like food. It’s a little odd to get a sudden craving for cookies in the middle of a bath because of the vanilla-gingerbread-orange spice scented bath gel.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Oh yes… I love good chocolate, especially dark chocolate, which I’m eager to try out new brands of.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I dabble in lots of crafts…cross-stitching, needlepoint/crewel, embroidery, needle-felting, sewing (mostly small stuffies, though I am venturing into bags), jewelry-making… I also draw and do some book-binding. Oh, and I’ve also been gearing up to try my hand at quilting and at crochet (to make amigurumi). I don’t spin but I have been contemplating getting a drop-spindle after seeing some beautiful ones on other blogs. I’m not sure how good I would be at figuring out the directions for spinning from a book though and there doesn’t seem to be many resources in this area for spinners (let me know if I am completely wrong. I would love to take a spinning class).

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I have rather eclectic taste in music. I like alternative/rock (e.g. Garbage, Linkin Park, Smashing Pumpkins, Death Cab for Cutie, The Killer), punk (e.g. Bad Religion), classical (e.g. Vivaldi, Bach, Mozart), female chanteuse, for lack of a better descriptor, (Aimee Mann, Tori Amos), folk (e.g. Alison Krauss)… In general, I like music that sounds like music…something melodic…nothing atonal, primal screams, etc. I usually find that I really like most of the music that Brenda Dayne plays on Cast-On. In terms of MP3 playing devices, like 80% of the population in my demographic, I have an iPod.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I don’t really have a favorite color but I really like vibrant greens, lilac to mauve shades of purples, deep/dark reds, citrus colors, and autumnal colors. I really don’t like pink, especially bright, girly pink.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live alone. No pets due to the horribly stringent rules imposed by my apartment management. Otherwise, I would have at least two cats as I am a bit obsessed with them.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear lots of scarves; the others not so much.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I’ve enjoyed knitting all of the things I have made so far. I don’t think I have a particular favorite, though I did love making the baby items for my boyfriend’s niece. Instant gratification!

13. What are you knitting right now?
The IK Fiery Bolero, Pomatomus socks, some scarves, and a Veste Everest for Mom.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I prefer straight needles. My favorites straights are my wood Brittany needles. I like bamboo circular needles for projects too wide for straights.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Nope. I have the trusty chair Poang chair-back. I actually don’t know how to use yarn winders and such…I find them rather intimidating and scary. Something about all that fiber whirling around…

17. How did you learn to knit?
I taught myself from a knitting book for children while stuck in bed with bouts of dizziness from the flu and going insane with boredom.

18. How old is your oldest UFO?
Five months. My backyard leaves scarf is still waiting for its other half.

19. What is your favorite holiday?
I think I like Christmas the best, though I dislike the commercial fake cheer that abounds during the season (such as the excessive blasting of Christmas music in all shops). Instead, I like the feelings of family togetherness around that Christmas tends to bring and the opportunity to spoil one’s loved ones with a special present or two.

20. Is there anything that you collect?
I buy a lot of books…fiction, non-fiction, craft-related (especially Japanese craft books)…basically anything I really enjoy reading. I also tend to accumulate lots of stuffed animals and little purpose-less decorative objects (like blown-glass chickens). I swear I unconsciously hand over money for them sometimes. It’s like a Pavlovian response…I see cute and out comes the wallet. The same seems to happen with ceramics, mostly Japanese, pretty paper, and little notebooks of no particular use.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I’ve been wanting to at least handle the fleece artist/hand maiden yarns, especially the sock yarn and the silk cashmere, and the sock-that-rocks yarns. Unfortunately, they don’t seem to be available around here. I’ve also been lusting after the Elderberry Zephyr yarn from Jaggerspun, some lace knitting books like A Gathering of Lace and Heirloom Knitting, and the lace patterns from the Heirloom Knitting site.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Entrelac, short-rows, and cabling without a cable needle, both of which I have been too lazy to just sit down and work through.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I’m resisting the pull since it’s not really ever cold enough here for wool socks but in a moment of weakness, I did cast on Pomatomus. And the climate issue certainly isn’t stopping me from collecting skeins of pretty sock yarns. My feet are 8 inches around and 9.25 inches long.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
E-mail me and I’ll tell you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tisha said...

hello... i'm going through sp8 answers, i like to read about other knitters adventures. but i have to say i cringed at the idea of ur needles in plastic bags... i make needle cases, and project bags to match. Would u like one? I have been known to work for yarn.

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too cringed at your needles in plastic bags!!! Fear not, my friend, a needle roll is on its way!
~knitaholic

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home