6.28.2006

You know you really miss knitting when...

...even tinking seems like fun. Today my stupid (for lack of a better word) arm felt a bit better, and I was so desperate to do something, anything, with yarn that the idea of doing some of the tinking on Icarus has imminent appeal. Happily, I managed to get through two rows before the nerve protested. Hurrah!
Since I don’t want to bore you with another picture of the (now two rows shorter) blueish lump of a shawl-in-progress, I’ll show you two of my somewhat recent yarn acquisitions instead.


Usually, I’m not a big fan of yellow but these particular blends of citrusy and woodsy color really appealed to me. Both skeins are hand-painted and come from Black Bunny Fibers. Carol does a beautiful job of dyeing the yarn...the colors are wonderfully deep and complex. The top skein is DK weight 100% Blue-Faced Leicester in October Oak Tree


and the bottom skein is fingerling weight superwash sock yarn in Butternut (actually a bit oranger in real life).


Even after having these for a month, I’m still so enthralled by the colors that I have yet to think about what I want to make with the yarn. I had planned on socks for the sock-weight (original, I know) but now that I have the skein in hand, it seems entirely too pretty and well, cheery, to be relegated to being hidden by shoes. I'm almost tempted to keep both around in the skein as decorative objects but that's hardly in the spirit of the practical nature of knitting, is it?

9 Comments:

Blogger Hege said...

Beautiful yarn! I also love having yarn around just to look at it :) Sorry about your arm! I have carpal tunnel myself, and used to spend 20 minutes every evening with ice packs on... Hope it heals soon!

6:41 AM  
Blogger Emma said...

They would both make lovely decorative objects. Just keep them around for a while until the right project comes along!

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do love the warm colours of those yarns! You're right they are too beautiful to be hidden away...

2:11 PM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Oh, those are both so pretty. I don't normally choose yellows either, but those are very nice and mellow. It's ok keep them as decorations for a while, eventually you will have new yarn you wish to decorate with and by then you might have a project picked.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Wendy DG said...

I don't usually like yellow either, but that yarn is beautiful. I can't wait to see what you decide to make with it. In the meantime, you can put the skeins in a pretty glass bowl in the center of your dining table.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

ooh pretty pretty
i love the darker one such neat colors.
and you should display your fancy yarns proudly, given that you no longer live with cats!

10:52 PM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Oh, so summery and beautiful. Summer shawl or wrap, maybe? I don't know. I like the idea of displaying the skeins in a glass bowl in the meantime :)

10:34 AM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

A flash of vibrant sock is no bad thing. Especially in winter, boarding the bus, feeling sorry for yourself, sitting down in your damp coat and suddenly seeing - lo! A flash of sunshine peeping out 'twixt jean and shoe!

But then, I do spend a lot of time wandering around in my stockinged feet, so maybe I'm biased.

11:57 AM  
Blogger aj said...

That yarn is gorgeous! It definitely screams Autumn. Can't wait to see what you turn out with it!

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home