7.26.2006

If wishes were fishes...


...I would be somewhere much cooler and wetter than where I am now. Among those that make the short list of things I would desire to occur, I heartily wish that I had more time to work on Icarus. I’ve finally made it to Chart 2 but given that only three days remain and the finish line lies behind Charts 3 and 4 as well as several long uncharted final rows, it looks like I will be wearing my usual grey wrap to the wedding. I am of the suspicion that the Powers-that-be just never meant shawl-wearing on this Saturday to happen as we were hit with a record heat wave just as I was becoming intensely focused on working on the shawl. High temperatures, the lack of air conditioning, and alpaca fibers just don’t mix well so the knitting progress slowed to a crawl. In fact, the heat managed to drive off my interest in doing anything besides moving as little a possible. Thus, another of my top wishes: I really wish that I had some new project to share…a swatch, a stuffie, a piece of embroidery, anything remotely crafty and interesting to show you. But alas, I spend the last few days, in the interest of not moving, hunched over these


and intently reading. There’s nothing like the fantastical to take one’s mind away from something so mundane as high temperatures. If you enjoy reading fiction involving other-worldly characters, I would highly recommend the Robin McKinley book. Sunshine is a bit of a departure from McKinley’s usual settings and writing style but just as enthralling as her best works (and not at all like anything in the genre that the publishers have shoehorned it into). I was hooked as soon as I read the first page and didn’t put the book down until it was six am. That was last Thursday and I have reread the book twice since then. I love finding books like this that just grab hold of my imagination. It’s almost like finding an old, dear friend you didn’t know you had. Do you have any books that you feel the same about?
(Just so I’m fair to the other three books in the pile, they were enjoyable reads as well. Tanya Huff doesn’t write as well as Robin McKinley but the stories were entertaining. Nothing I would reread but a pleasant way to pass the time. Did I mention my wish for more well-written, non-clichéd plotted books in the fantasy genre? If you know of any, do share!)
So, most of my wishes aren't likely to be fulfilled (like having my experiments work out for once...hahaha). But, I am getting a major one granted today that goes a great deal towards making up for all the unfulfilled ones. I. the fiancé will be flying in and staying for two whole weeks -- more than enough to make me forget all about the heat and any disappointment in not finishing Icarus.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello!!! how are you?

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home