7.09.2006

Ah l’ennui...

There’s nothing like being in the middle of three lengthy projects with no immediate end in sight to make me want to go drape myself, sighing and clad in a diaphanous gown, over a chaise lounge. However, since I lack for both the gown and the chaise lounge, I had to content myself with restlessly picking up and putting down the various pieces of knitting, all to the tune of many an exasperated sigh. I itched to be making something but that something certainly was not Icarus, Pomatomus, or the Traveling Plum.
Images of knitted items I covet flitted across my mind but the thought of casting on yet another project sent me sinking back down on my mental chaise lounge with hand to forehead. When I found myself starting to play metal games of bribery (one page of New Yorker reading for every 4 rows!) to keep on knitting, enough was enough. Into the bag went the needles and fiber and out came the fabric and crafting books.
As often is the case, a little sewing quite soothes the need to create and leaves a delightful physical product to boot. This time, the result was Squee.
(Warning: gratuitous multi-angled photos below...I got a bit carried away).



Squee's sitting on my ipod for size reference. The pattern I made him from is in this lovely Japanese craft book (ISBN 4-7778-0011-3). While the directions were fairly clear, the fact that Squee is made from real fabrics and not good ole forgiving felt caused there to be a surprising amount of finagling in order to get the various small pieces of fabric to fit together just so. Even with the fussing though, poor Squee still ended up a bit lopsided in the back since my sewing skills, alas, are not equal to my ambition. Still, I'm quite happy with the little penguin. He looked a tad chilly when he was all done so I made him a scarf from some linen. I think it gives him quite a festive air!
Changing crafting mediums certainly did the trick to chase away my vague feelings of discontent. Now, back to Icarus…

10 Comments:

Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Squeeee! He's lovely - and so small. Awww. And I really like that his creation included some 'finagling'!

I'm so mired in my state of knitting enui, I've been swatching. Swatching to see which needle size looks best with a particular yarn even though I have no project in mind for the yarn. Sad, eh? I'm going to have to take myself in hand soon, but for the sake of my living room (and probably my sanity: fabric still scares me quite a lot) it won't be anything sewy.

1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

too cute!!! i love him....

1:48 AM  
Blogger aj said...

Squee is adorable! I love the fabric you used for the body.

I, too, know that feeling of despair at seeing all of the WIP's and just not feeling like doing any of them. Perhaps that's why I'm cranking out so many of these bears lately?

How long does it take you to make something like Squee?

6:52 AM  
Blogger Hege said...

I am so impressed! How long did it take you to make him? Nothing like a finished project to give you a sense of achievement! I have three things to finish now, and no easy smooth-sailing project around to distract myself with. Maybe I should sew something... :)

6:55 AM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Oh my goodness! He is so cute!

The perfect respite from the knitting :-)

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute! There are times like that when three projects on the needles don't seem to be enough! I am going through the same phase myself where everything I pick is put down again...

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

yay squee!!
so so cute.
maybe when the next bout of ennui hits, you can sew yourself a diaphanous gown and drape yourself languidly on your Poang.

9:12 PM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Aww, Squee is adorable! It's almost enough to make me want to learn how to sew. I could use an alternate craft for when knitting ennui sets in.

1:30 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Oh he is soooo cute. NOthing like a little distraction when the going gets tough! I did the same thing with my one seam teddy a few weeks ago.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home