7.16.2006

A bird in the hand…


...is worth more than…uh…a few hours of sleep?
You see, last night found me suddenly in the mood to try my hand at learning that often maligned-by-knitters fiber art of crochet. So, meet Bosc, my little beginner’s crash-course in crochet. Single chains, turning chains, increases, decreases, joining in the round…this little guy had me do them all.
I’ve been vaguely talking about learning crochet for months, ever since I was seduced by cuteness into bringing this amigurumi book (ISBN4-309026572-3) home.


So that the book would be more useful than just decorating my bookshelf, I even dutifully purchased The Happy Hooker as soon as it hit bookstores so that I could teach myself. But alas, learning crochet turned into one of those things I “really should do” and “will do someday,” and the books collected dust on my bookshelf. Whenever I had craft time, it was always easier to pick up a project in progress than try to learn something new, that is, until last night. For whatever reason, I came home after several happy hours of teaching an expecting friend to knit baby bootees and headed straight for the crochet books on the shelf. After a good hour of puzzling through the directions and diagrams in both books and some ugly false starts, I was on my way to making a little pear in Cascade 220. My size E hook that had proved amazingly ineffective in the dropped-stitch pickup capacity for which I purchased it was infinitely more useful in making a chain stitch. Gee, who would have thunk?
Bosc is inspired by the parrot pattern in the amigurumi book. I say inspired by rather than from the pattern, as I really wasn’t able to really understand it (it makes much more sense now that I have gone through the making process) and fudged a great deal. Happily, crochet seems quite amendable to fudging so the end result looks more or less like the one in the book. I had to make up something for the wing tips and tail since there was no diagram but fortunately they came out in the shapes that I wanted.



I really quite like crocheting so far. There is something very fun and satisfying about chaining my way around and around to make some spherical shape. In terms of the teaching material though, I was a bit disappointed by The Happy Hooker. The book organization is not terribly amendable to dipping in and searching for certain ways to do things. Also, the written instructions sometimes seemed more preoccupied with incorporating the trying-too-hard, pseudo-street lingo typical of the Stitch’N Bitch books than clearly explaining what to do. Still, I think it will make a decent reference, especially if the only other book I have on crochet is written in Japanese.
After finishing Bosc (and sleeping like the dead until noon today), I found myself picking up hook and yarn again to make a friend for Bosc.


Say hi to Snow.


Hmm…I seem to have developed yet another addiction.

10 Comments:

Blogger knitties said...

Those two are adorable and Snow is such a sweetheart! I have the same book too but I haven't had the chance to really read through the whole thing yet. It looks like it has quite a few fun projects though.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Hege said...

Wow, another Saturday evening, another little creature! Very cute, and very impressive!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

how do you manage to churn out so many cute little animals all the time? i'm so impressed.

9:10 AM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Sweeeet! Soon I am going to run out of adjectives to describe the cuteness of your creatures. Snow looks much like a puppy I know, which is only a good thing.

It amazes me that your test square turns into two creatures. Then again, thinking that it's you, it amazes me less. Nonetheless, I am very impressed. :)

9:50 AM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Oh! They are both so cute!

10:08 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Those are adorable! I keep meaning to learn crochet, too, and I just haven't gotten around to it. But now I feel like I need a Bosc, too, so maybe I'll finally do it!

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bosc and Snow are delightful!!! and to pick up a new craft so quickly... i am in awe of you!!!! have a great week!
~knitaholic

2:28 PM  
Blogger aj said...

SO so cute!! Next you'll be trying one of the bears like I make!

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm crazy about it!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello snow!!!!!!!

4:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I can see a farm / zoo / menagerie starting! Snow is especially adorable.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home