7.17.2006

Should you think that I’ve abandoned knitting altogether…

…look, yarn!
















Yarn that was lost and yarn that was sent back. It all arrived in one great, inspirational lump in my mailbox on Saturday. The light colored skeins in the first picture are some beautiful hand-dyed sock-weight in the colorway Ocean from Curious Yarns in the UK. The first shipment disappeared without a trace somewhere on its journey from London to San Francisco but they were kind enough to send another, along with these pretty stitch markers.


I really wish my camera were capable of capturing the exact colors of the Curious Yarn fiber. The yarn in person hardly resembles those washed-out looking skeins in the picture. Think green sea-glass and go a bit lighter in intensity and you have something close to the real colors of this gorgeous yarn.
The other sets of skeins make up the order that my post office managed to send back before I could pick it up. Robyn of Red Bird Knits (an online shop whose wares I spend an inordinate amount of time drooling over --- they carry Jaggerspun Zephyr, Fleece Artist, and Handmaiden yarns, need I say more?) was incredibly understanding about the post office mishap and sent the whole thing right back as soon as she got it. So, after much coveting and anxiety, I finally have my hands on a skein of Jaggerspun Zephyr (1260 glorious yards in elderberry!). This tussah silk and wool blend is quite amazing --- the luscious squooshiness of merino combined with a wonderful subtle sheen. I can hardly wait to try knitting with it!
When I was placing my order for the Zephyr, I must have been struck with temporary amnesia about all the variegated yarn I already own but don’t know what to do with since I bought those two other pairs of skeins as well. Yes, more Lorna’s Laces shepherd sock. Purple Club and Gold Hill. Well, at least they can lie around the apartment in the skein being pretty and decorative while they and I wait for the perfect sock pattern for hand-painted yarns.
Even without knowing what I want to do with the Lorna’s though, the other skeins are more than enough to give me that burst of motivation to finish what I have on the needles now so that I can cast on more projects. So, more work on Icarus and Pomatomus and Traveling Plum this week while I dream about new, intricate shawls.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

pretty pretty pretty! lucky you.
now that i go back and look at snow, it does look like a sheep. clearly, the ears are way too droopy for a bear or dog.

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! The Eldeberry colour is beautiful, I love the Zephyr yarn, I am knitting my shawl with it at the moment and it is pure luxury!!! What are going to knit with it?

2:55 AM  
Blogger Hege said...

Oh wow, you are a lucky girl! One day when I finish some of my projects I want to spring for some of those beautiful yarns... I love them all. :) Is this all for socks? What will you make with the Zephyr? A luscious shawl?

6:38 AM  
Blogger aj said...

What beautiful scrumptious yarn! I'm jealous!

8:34 AM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Yum. Yum yum yum. There isn't one of those skeins that doesn't fill me with ideas, and you can't say much more than that!

I've been looking for patterns for variegated sock yarn too, and have come up with these that I think are quite nice: http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnatakespictures/43004195/in/set-941495/ - the pattern is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnatakespictures/43004195/in/set-941495/. Also I think the ribbing from the Knitty Thuja socks would take variegated yarn happily. I'll watch what you get up to with interest - and I'm waiting with baited breath to see the Travelling Plum! :)

8:18 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Beautiful yarns! Good motivation to clear out the WIP pile :)

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home