8.13.2006

Comfort knitting



There are starting to be hints of the forthcoming fall season everywhere. Dahlias are in bloom, advertising with a "back-to-school" theme is becoming ubiquitous, racks of warm coats are pushing out the swim suits in department stores, and a new crop of knitting magazines are sprouting up everywhere in blogland. Normally I give seasons nary a thought, given the perpetually temperate climate here, but in the face of all those oh-so-tempting cozy yet smart sweaters filling the new magazines, I’ve been finding myself yearning for autumnal days. Never mind that it has been about as cold right now as it ever gets during the fall months. Never mind that the imaginary period in my mind of wood smoke tinged crisp days filled with fluttering orange and red leaves does not exist here. Despite that naysayer called common sense, dreams of my imaginary autumn continue to clutter my mind -- dreams of myself warmly dressed in pert cabled sweaters or sporting intricately knit gloves or wrapped with cozy, colorful scarves…you get the idea…all the while surrounded by trees resplendent with fall foliage. Since in reality, the only thing fall is likely to bring around here is a spell of excessively warm weather entirely unsuited knitted wear, I indulged myself this weekend (while it is still chilly, foggy summer) in a spell of comfort autumnal knitting.


Fiery orange, substantive yarn. Certainly feels like autumn to me.

5 Comments:

Blogger aj said...

Beautiful work! What a glorious pair of gloves those will be!

6:01 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

wow! you did all that just this weekend? those are really pretty.
your picture looks like edward needlehands!

8:43 AM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Those are lovely! And impressive, as usual.

Luckily my nostalgia for autumn hasn't set in yet. I spend enough of my time knitting scarves as it is.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hyvttyfBeautiful work and I do hope you'll get to wear them! I just can't help it but I always look forward to Autumn!

1:56 PM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Beautiful! I have gloves on my list, and with autumn in the air (at least *really* early in the morning), they sound like a good next project. Yours are just stunning.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home