2.28.2007

Bunny Lace

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Now, if only this knitting-in-progress could look like that all the time...
Thank you all for the compliments on the Sea Monkeys! The universe must have felt that an unexpected success with variegated yarn in lace must be balanced by a failure in some other aspect of my knitting. How else can I explain my momentary amnesia regarding angora when I impulsively embarked on some bunny lace? Bunny yarn, as we all know, can attribute its rational-thought-defying qualities of being oh-so-heavenly soft and fluffy and addictive to pet to its inherent fuzziness. You know, the halo comme ça around the yarn.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lovely, no? Well, that delightful halo also makes the scarf look like this when sans back-lighting...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I think this is beyond even the magical powers of blocking to save. After much grumping and thoughts of frogging (not actually a possibility given the enmeshing abilities of the aforementioned fluff), I think I've finally made my peace with the scarf-to-be*. After all, even if no one else will ever be able to discern even the barest hint of deliberately placed holes, I will at least know that deep down, sandwiched between a double layer of bunny hair, there is lace.

*It helps that the fluff makes the yarn feel so luxurious that it makes me wish for a tubful to roll around nekkid in. Yeah, it's that soft.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It must be this knitting universe where all good knitting intentions go wild. I ran into some problems with a scarf that I made. But the first photo is gorgeous! And I bet that yarn feels simply divine. I havent tried working with that kind yet.

4:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's secret lace! It will be pretty whether the lace pattern shows or no.

5:14 AM  
Blogger aj said...

I like what Ruth said! Secret Lace!

Makes it seem like it will be a well kept secret that only you will know how truly beautiful your scarf will be.

Others will be admiring it for its softness, sure, but you (and those who you choose to allow to be in the know) can bask in its true beauty.

Or something like that.

Eh, I like just Secret Lace better!

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As indecipherable as the lace may be, it's quite pretty. And really, as long as you are satisfied, that is all that really matters, right?

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You crack me up!

12:47 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Ruth and I not only have the same name, we had the same thought. As I was reading, I thought, "secret lace!"

What a delightful secret to be smuggling around under all that fluff.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It'll be your secret lace! Where others will see just a soft, cuddly scarf, you will know there is so much more. Sort of a metaphor for...you know...something.

And I actually bet that blocking will help more than you think.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

How frustrating. Especially when the pattern and colour look so fab. Bet it will still feel nice to wear, which is a bit of a consolation.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Marie N. said...

Wow! You really gave us a great photo of the lace there. It looks wonderfully soft. Other knitters will appreciate your efforts :-)

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home