2.24.2007

A year and a day

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Three hundred and sixty six days of me blathering into the ether. Hard to believe. What started off as just a sounding board for me to wax poetic on my new-found love of knitting (without driving non-knitting friends and family mad with fiber talk) has turned into something of a refuge. Here is a mental space apart from the daily complexities and banalities of trudging the Ph.D. road, a place where I can muse and reflect to my heart’s content on the act of making things – sewing, knitting, spinning... – with no limitations and no one to pooh-pooh my efforts as “a waste of time.” Here is also a medium through which I can connect and exchange ideas with others who too love to create things by hand. After a day of moving bits of clear liquid from plastic tube to plastic tube in the laboratory, often with negative results at the end, it’s wonderful to come home and do something with my hands that actually can result in the tangible creation of something. Better yet, to be able to share and discuss in this space about those creations or the frustrations of bringing forth those creations – that just makes all the stresses of the day seem a million miles away. Plenty have been said extolling this wonderful, generous community built up around the simple act of looping a strand of yarn into a fabric and yet no amount of praise can be enough for this network of “kindred spirits.” I am still amazed each post by all of you who take the time to read and respond back. So, thank you, thank you everyone for being so kind to listen to me ramble and helping me create this sanctum. Here’s to another year!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! And congratulations on your vest, it is fabulous! I wish it was mine!

4:55 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Happy Blogging Birthday! The vest is beautiful! :)

Can't wait to start on Salina!

5:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Blogiversary! I love seeing all of your creations!

5:57 AM  
Blogger Hege said...

Happy anniversary. Mine was just over a week ago, too! How did you decide to start? I didn't know anything about blogs until my friend told me about it. I just thought it would motivate me to finish more stuff ;) Meeting nice people like you was a bonus!

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your anniversary!

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy B-Day! I love how you wrote this post... x

4:47 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Congratulations! Nice pics. Best wishes for the next year!

3:19 AM  
Blogger Marie N. said...

The vest looks great and it suits you. I have not been successful at making my color changes look so nice on the wrong side -- great work.

Congratulations on the anniversary too, and I look forward to reading more in the future.

5:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary! Lovely post!

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary on your blog! A year has gone by so quickly.

Also, Cyd is amazing. Very, very cute and really flattering!

2:12 PM  
Blogger mathomhouse said...

Let me add my congratulations to the chorus! Happy anniversary!

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home