1.28.2007

Speed Knitting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

There’s nothing like the ghastly specter of running out of yarn to push me into knitting overdrive. As I progressed along on my impulse-buy-and-cast-on Monkey socks, the rather rapid implosion of the center-pull ball soon became an object of concern and then, of out-right panic. By the time I got to the heel turning, I was convinced that the sad little deflated ball of yarn could not possible contain enough yardage for me to finish the sock. So, what else could I do but knit like a house on fire? (As it is a universally acknowledged fact that if you only believe, the speed of knitting is directly proportional to the amount of yarn remaining.)
So in record time, I now possess one completed and perfectly fitting (Sea) Monkey sock

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


And, erm, plenty of left-over yarn (shown here relative to the skein destined for the other sock).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Which all just goes to show how true the relationship between knitting speed and yarn yardage is and says nothing whatsoever about my propensity to worry.
Ahem. Right.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has happened to me too! beautiful sock, and the fit looks good too.

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How pretty! I think the yarn and the pattern was a brilliant match.

Don't you wish all yarns worried you so? Think about how much knitting you would complete, all in a record amount of time!

4:56 AM  
Blogger aj said...

Ooh how pretty! I've thought about trying that pattern - I may have to, now!

Great yarn choice. I love soft shades of blue and green together.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Hege said...

I can tell how fast you knitted by how much yarn you have left! Good job! Very pretty pattern and yarn. The colors make the sock look really soft.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, it's like trying to outrun the truth - AND IT WORKS!

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... my comment disappeared. Anyways I love your sock, and I am glad you won your yarn race.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Marie N. said...

I'm glad you did not need to buy more yarn mid-project. The socks look lovely like a blue sky with puffy clouds and sunshine.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

So glad you had enough to finish! Now onto the second one! Yours is the first Monkey sock I've seen in a lighter colorway, very pretty! (from knitty ;)

7:40 PM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

I love racing the yarn to the finish line! Non-knitters always think that's a weird way of thinking, but it's a proven fact. Lovely colors, lovely pattern.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home