7.02.2006

Instant Gratification

A week spent with nary a stitch knit but lots of knitting related reading inevitably results in a serious case of Startitis. By Saturday, my arm felt fine and while I was dying to knitting something, I didn’t feel like working on any of the projects I had on the needles. To stave off starting yet another long-term needle hog, I picked up Weekend Knitting (as inspired by Areli) and churned out some petals.


A few more hours of cotton chenille manipulation while chuckling to Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me and To the Best of Our Knowledge and I had a finished object to satisfy the worse of my knitting cravings.


The details:
Pattern: Reverse Bloom Flower Washcloths from Weekend Knitting by Melanie Falick
Yarn: Crystal Palace Cotton Chenille in teal, less than one skein
Needles: Size 6/4mm DPNs

This couldn’t be a better instant gratification project -- mindless but very fast with only a bit of fussing required at the end for the center of the flower. The inelasticity of the cotton chenille is a bit hard on the hands but I still found it better than knitting with Rowan cotton glace. Also, the chenille creates a wonderfully fluffy fabric that hides any issues with even gauge that comes from using yarn without any stretch. Happily too, since you knit in the round towards the center of the flower, the stitches become fewer and fewer in number as you go (unlike some other projects *coughtIcaruscough*). Now, excuse me while I go give it a test run with my new soap...

4 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

yay knitting! glad your arm is feeling better. and that is the cutest little sheep soap ever - although cutely shaped soaps are kind of sad, since they inevitably become formless lumps after not too long.

11:33 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Cool soap! Does it have lanolin in?

I'm glad your arm is feeling better. Hope you can find a few more small projects to ease back into it (or kid yourself into the idea that just one or two rows of Icarus a day is why you knit, really).

8:23 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

So cute! It seems like everyone is doing these lately. I need to dig up some chenille and get on board :)

10:31 AM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Great color for your cloth, and does this mean your arm is feeling better? I hope so. :-)

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home