9.24.2006

An excess of sugar and spice and everything nice

I. the fiancé sent the best birthday care package ever.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Icelandic lace patterns and chocolates and a card that makes one go “squee!”

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The sugar, the lace, the adorable, fluffy, and resolutely un-ironic anthropomorphosized animals –– it all makes me feel fluttery and girly as anything.
Sometimes, it’s nice to leave the irony behind to revel in a bit of good-old-fashioned sugar and prettiness. Take for example this shawl (my sole reason for coveting Three Cornered and Long Shawls).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ever since I saw hyrna herborgar knitted up here, I’ve wanted one. Yes, it’s lacy and girly and impractical for actual wear in the t-shirt and jeans world of a graduate student but something about the absolute frivolity of it appeals to me. It’s just so unabashedly pretty! Not only that but the distinct looking lace motifs promise for some interesting knitting too. And really, when have I ever been rational about my knitting (to wit…making wool socks and gloves in an extremely temperate climate where it rarely drops below 50°F)?
So, excuse me while I go indulge in some more girlish squealing over the b-day goodies (certainly makes getting a whole 'nother year older much more pleasant!). I’ll leave you with one more dear little drawing from the card.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So sweetly adorable that it’s positively cavity-inducing.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Your fiancé was so sweet to send you all of those wonderful goodies!

That shawl is absolutely breathtaking. And if anyone will be able to work out what will be a most intricate and elaborate pattern, it will be you!

4:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!! You got some really great goodies there!! Have a great day!!

5:45 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

hooray! happy birthday!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Hege said...

Happy birthday!!! Hope you enjoy your day!

3:48 PM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

Feliz cumpleanos! Is this the actual day? or did it happen already? Inquiring minds want to know ;)***CV

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you had a wonderful birthday, Marie! I say that's occasion to indulge in some impractical knitting. ;) Hyrna Herborgar was the main reason I got that book too-- when will you start on it? Or have you already?

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! This book is a Classic definitively! I am a bit like you, I don't wear shawls but can't resist making them!... Knitting is a hobby nowadays and therefore should be done for pleasure. I usually tend to knit things I know I'll be able to wear, and if I come across a beautiful shawl I can't resist making, then I give it as a present.

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home