9.12.2006

And then there were two

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

On to the heels!
But first, a request for some advice. Since I was absolutely unsuccessful in my search for matching pink reinforcement thread (unless I want to resort to using elastic), the heels and toes will be composed solely of Dale Baby Ull as the rest of the sock. So, asks the worry-prone sock-knitting and hand-kitted sock wearing novice, can any sock knitters out there comment on the durability of non-reinforced socks? These are knit on US 0's so the fabric is relatively dense but I'm concerned about the nylon-less fiber content. Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a well-wearing stitch pattern for the heel flap (e.g. ribbed vs. K1, Sl1)?
Many thanks in advance for any and all purls of wisdom. (Wince...sorry, just couldn't resist the pun).

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Those look amazing!! I want to try and knit some socks and hopefully soon I will get to do that.

4:50 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I've had two pairs of knitted socks wear out(one was with Regia--which has nylon and one was with Socks That Rock--no nylon). Both pairs wore out on the foot not the heel--because I wore them to pad around the house in. I've been knitting socks for 2.5 years and those have been the only problems. So I'd say you'd be safe heel wise. I almost always do the K1, Sl1 heel(sometimes I "attempt" the short row heel).

Your socks look great by the way! I am gearing up to try the arrrgyle socks.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Hege said...

I thought there existed some clear or inconspicuous reinforcement thread which you could knit together with your yarn at the heel and toe...
Unfortunately I don't have experience with how the ribbed heel patterns wear. Your socks look great!

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What trememendous socks! I am in awe of anyone who could carry off argyle - especially with the added bother of sock worries.

Trying to avoid wearing them out is a tricky question - if you don't have any nylon in them already, I would take your chances and continue with the pure wool.

I have had pure wool ones for years and years with no trouble - but I think it depends how much you wear them and so forth.

11:52 PM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Your socks are SO CUTE! I might have to end my intarsia embargo and make some myself.

12:36 PM  
Blogger mathomhouse said...

Ann Budd recommends using sewing thread along with the sock wool in the heels and toes of socks, and so since I'm still a hand-knitted sock novice, that is what I do. I often forget, in the thrill of the moment, and I look on this as an experiment, to see if it makes a difference -- but still have no concrete evidence one way or the other.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home