9.09.2006

A most pleasant surprise

Today started off as a hectic mess. A knitting night with a friend on Friday ran quite late. When I finally came home, I was so hopped up on caffeine and sugar and laughter that there was no way I could get to sleep. So, I knitted. And knitted and knitted – until faint bird chirps began filtering their way into my apartment. Needless to say, I slept quite late into the day. That, of course, has the unfortunate consequence of squashing everything I needed to get done today into a much, much smaller window of time. Just as I was running out the door, much frazzled and stressed, I found this from Phillipa in my mailbox and suddenly, my day seemed much better.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I didn’t have a chance to open it right then but remembering that I had a special package waiting for me made all the errands I was running seem much less of a chore.
When I finally opened the package, I was greeted by a soothing perfume. It smelled like lavender and clothes dried in the sun and general coziness. Here is what I found inside the envelope:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

An enormous cut of whimsical Liberty fabric printed with yarn and knitting (I have been desperately coveting Liberty fabric ever since I knew of its existence. Now I finally have some!). A bar of delicious smelling candy intriguingly called Kendal Mint Cake that was a great favorite of Sir Edmund Hillary’s famed Mt. Everest expedition. A lovely post card of some spires (a spire) of Oxford. And the wonderful goat milk soap that suffused everything with its perfume.
I’m quite over the moon with everything. I can’t stop fingering the delightful fabric (soft as well as adorable) and sniffing at the soap. It’s all so generous a thank you for a little felt hamster.
Thank you, Phillipa, for such a wonderful and unexpected gift!

2 Comments:

Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

I'm so pleased you liked it! I tried to make it a very British package. The round building in the postcard is the Radcliffe Camera, part of the Bodleian Library. I got a reader's pass for the library during the Easter holidays before my finals and revised under that dome all day. I always buy mint cake when I go to the Lake District and would be addicted to it if I didn't keep it only for emergencies. I've heard there are many states in the US where they can't sell it because it doesn't conform to trading standards - i.e. it is not a cake. But I guess it's a bit like a cake of soap, if you have such things? - only made of sugar of course. I really look forward to seeing what you do with the fabric, but you don't have to use it all it once!

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What lovely fabric! Any idea yet of what you'll be making with it?

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home