2.09.2008

Why it’s probably better to sleep on that brilliant idea you have in the wee hours

When it comes to knitting, I’m nothing if not governed by sudden whims and fancies. Just like my tendencies towards sudden obsessions, I’m equally prone to sudden covetousness regarding finished objects. A few pretty FO pictures et voilà, I must absolutely replicate that same exact thing on my needles right then and there. Of course, patterns and yarn purchases frequently ensue. Anyway, so there I was innocently browsing through Ravelry during a bout of insomnia the other night when I was seized with an absolute need to knit Foliage.
Out of my own hand-spun.
I don’t even remember what particular combination of FO pictures and forum conversations lead to the genesis of this need but there it was, firing at maximal speed through all my late-night twingy neurons to occupy my entire being. Never mind that I possessed neither bulky handspun nor solid roving that could be turned into bulky handspun. No, my mind raved, don’t let that little hurtle stop you! The hat would still look wonderful in a green and teal blend! (Why yes, my mind in the wee hours speaks in exclamatory statement. Doesn’t yours?) A green and teal blend that I must make right then and there! Right. Somehow my 3am brain thought that it would be a brilliant to use part of the December offering from the Spunky Eclectic fiber club, a roving space-dyed in bright lime-green and teal (and red that I had already separated and spun up). I would draft from both the green and teal portions at the same time as I spun and it will be beautiful!
So, with this vision of beautiful bluish-green blended yarn burning in my mind, I snatch up my spindle, made a lousy attempt at blending the two colors of roving together, and proceeded to make some of the ugliest yarn I have ever seen.

Photobucket

Yeah.
The wrongness of the yarn…the uneven thick and thinness, the strange marled looked, the odd transitions from “shade” to “shade,” oh just the fugliness of it all was enough to convince even my pigheaded manic 3am visionary brain that it was not working and was never, ever going to work. I mean who in their right mind would wear something knit out of this on their head? Deflated, I shoved the sad little spindle-full into a bag and called it a night.
But I still really wanted a Foliage. So, I went stash-diving and came up with this.

Photobucket

One buttery soft skein of natural-dyed merino in a color called Cognac procured in the early days of my knitting obsession from Handpainted Yarn, those folks related to Malabrigo.
I’m very much smitten with the subtle variations in the colors. They shift from a pale rosy brown to faint olive green.

Photobucket

Thousands times better than using teal-green marled handspun.

Photobucket

Now that I have the yarn all wound up though, the winds of whimsy have shifted yet again. I don’t think I need a Foliage after all. No, what I really, really could do with is a little Karma.
(And I really have no idea what to do with my fugly handspun...)

7 Comments:

Blogger Rachel T said...

I don't think that handspun is so ugly at all! I like it :)
But yes, I think the brown one will make a nicer looking hat.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how funny! I can just imagine the 3am frenzy!
I agree with Rachel [above] re the handspun, but that Cognac is perfect!

1:43 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Marie, I'm so glad you commented! Your handspun is beautiful!!!

7:15 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

This post made me laugh so much. I do *exactly* the same thing. Lucky I don't spin!

I don't think that handspun is too awful though. Sit with it for a while and see if it suggests anything, and if not, you can always dye it :)

6:57 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Well, it's not what you were going for, but it's bright and springy and is probably perfect...for something else.

The brown will make a lovely hat!

6:46 AM  
Blogger Cactusflower said...

I love the teal green combo -- it's exactly spazzy like me, and would make me smile every day. ;) The brown would also be nice, but since I have lived most of my life being "safe", now I am trying to dive into the bright, springy things like the team/green combo (if it were a life moment).

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knit a toy fish, stuff it with catnip, find a cat.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home