1.26.2008

Warm Head = Good. Warm Head + Warm Ears = Rather Essential

Photobucket

I knit another hat for I. (see the tale of his 1st hat, the What Hat, here). Why? Well, his first hat was only long enough to touch the tips of his ears. Not a crucial detail, I thought, when I made the hat, being a mild-climate and non-hat-wearing person. After a recent trip to Boston during a snowstorm though, I stand corrected. A mere 10 minute walk outside while wearing I.’s non-ear covering hat was enough to convince me that indeed, the ear-covering part is a very important detail. Especially when wind is shrieking by and giant flakes of snow are buffeting your head. I was so convinced, in fact, that I bought yarn in the city right then and there to start knitting. So here’s the new and improved What Hat, knit wider and longer than the previous. I did a similar cable pattern (the science dork in me is still tickled by the fact that they look like chromosomes) with some adjustments due to the increased stitch count.

Photobucket


Project Specs:

Yarn
Less than 1 skein of Araucania Nature Wool, color 56 (dark blue-tinted charcoal)

Needles
US7/4.5mm DPN

Pattern
My own, using the same pattern I outlined here with the exception of casting on 108 stitches instead of 96.

Thoughts
I really enjoyed knitting with the Nature Wool. It’s a sturdy, substantial 3-ply aran-weight with wonderful yardage (240 yards per skein!) that feels like it would be an excellent workhorse yarn (good thing since I have some in the stash earmarked for a sweater). Compared to Cascade 220, my usual favorite workhorse yarn, it’s slightly thicker, more rounded, and feels less liable to pill. However, this is definitely a yarn that I would only buy in person since the evenness of color (it’s kettle dyed for a tonal variegation) varies vastly from skein to skein. In fact, there are no dye lots for the skeins since they vary so much. On the whole, I’m very happy with the hat. I love the color and the look of the shifting shades of bluish charcoal. And, it makes the ears happy!

Photobucket

(Please forgive this peculiar self-portrait of hat on head...proper camera angling to capture an image of my own head is a skill I have not yet mastered.)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the color of the hat, and the cable pattern is really charming. Great job!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely!!! great patern!! and great knitter also of course!!!!!!!!

cheers!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

It's so hard to take a picture of your own head. Love the hat, the pattern and yarn work very well together. I'll have to check out the Aracaunia yarn after reading your great review.

6:38 PM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Love the hat! In Wisconsin, ear-covering hats were essential, but not so much in Atlanta :) I will have to check out the Auracania, which sounds lovely.

6:30 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Oh, and I left something on my blog for you!

6:33 AM  
Blogger jessie said...

Cute hat, clever cables!

9:05 AM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

I love that picture; it is suitably quirky for your blog and makes me laugh! I've been googling around looking for a hat pattern for D (currently working near the seaside. In January) and then stopped by to see what you were up to and found the nicest one yet! Hopefully he won't want something very simple... or if he does, I will just have to knit one for me! Are you well? xxx

3:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This hat is great ;) It was a pleasure to meet you in San Francisco last weekend--glad I remembered your blog name!

8:50 PM  
Blogger mathomhouse said...

Love that Nature Wool. It does pill, but the colors can be so wonderful that it doesn't really matter ....

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home