6.28.2007

Reason #52 to love summer

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Lychee season!
Even if summer here does mean dense chilling fogs and scarf-snatching winds that match the worst winter has to offer, there is at least a surfeit of these fragrant summer fruits to make up for the decidedly unsummer-like weather.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Not only are they absolutely delicious, I think they make for some of the prettiest and most charming fruits around, what with their daintily scaled shell that delicately shade from khaki to green to red as the berries ripen.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And as an added bonus once the crystalline fruits are gobbled up (and hence not, um, presenting an opportunity for photography…heh), even the inside of the shell is pretty.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What makes you happy about summer?

(Now, fingers crossed that this post shows up in Bloglines, unlike the previous one…grr.)

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Oooo, I love lychees and even have a series of four photos on our dining room wall! Your photos are gorgeous!

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum!

My favorite part of summer is the lovely lazy feeling I get. I still have lots to do, but somehow it's less rushed and more fun in summer.

Your lace is so pretty, what are you making or did I miss that part?

1:40 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Mmmmmmm in the midst of a southern winter I am dreaming about REAL tomatoes! And long days.........

5:28 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

My favourite things about lychees (apart from the taste of course!) is the beautiful stones and the fact that they look like little brains! They may be my favourite fruit ever. Hmm, well maybe in competition with nectarines and cherries, oh and plums and apricots and raspberries. And a really decent apple. Maybe my favourite thing about summer is fruit!

Or maybe it's long summer evenings that barely fade to twilight before 10pm, drinking IPA outside, going to the park, cut grass, going barefoot, the smell of hot pavements after the rain... Except that Britain seems obstinately to be wearing its March hat this year. Glum. Thanks for reminding me of what summer is capable of! xx

10:33 AM  
Blogger fleegle said...

somebody loves red! The lychees look delicious, and so is the Swallowtail.

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, it didn't show up. I came here via your comment as I hadn't heard from you for a while.

How's your little owl? I'd love to see some more pics. :)

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lychees, I love lychees and I agree, they are totally beautiful fruit!

2:13 PM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

I've only ever had preserved lychees, but those are gorgeous! I will have to find some fresh sometime.

I love that summer is cherry season. Yum!

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home