2.27.2008

A Square for Pterry

We knitters are lucky. When tragedy strikes, be it us directly or those we know, we can do a wee bit more to assuage that desperate need to “do something to help” than your average person. We can knit.
So, when there is bad news, we can pull out our yarn

Photobucket

And knit...

Photobucket

And knit...

Photobucket

And tidy up...

Photobucket

And embroider*...

Photobucket

And make something that we hope will at least bring a smile to the face of the person afflicted.

Photobucket


This is my contribution to the afghan (Pratchgan) we of the Ankh-Morpork Knitter’s Guild over at Ravelry are putting together for Terry Pratchett, that wonderful creator of Discworld and author of numerous delightful books (and a knitter and spinner to boot). He was recently diagnosed with a rare early-onset form of Alzheimer’s. Because we, being mere fans and not family, can’t do much besides think good thoughts and send well wishes, we knit our appreciation for his work that has made so many of us laugh and hope that he remains well as long as possible.

*Afghan square explanation for those uninitiated to Discworld: Eta Beta Pi (sound it out…), the unofficial motto of the Unseen University, domain of the wizards and constituting one of the best satirical send-up of old-school Ivory Tower academia stuffed with quirky, pompous, often gluttonous, and frequently lazy academics of the elderly male sort. Really, just go read some of his books. You won’t be sorry.

4 Comments:

Blogger Yarn Tails said...

Alzheimers is a hard disease to deal with. I think it is harder on the people around them than the one with it. I work on a dementia unit and I know how hard it is for some of the family members. I wish him the best. Something else, I take care of a lady who use to knit and when I take my knitting needles in she will sit and knit with me and could probably out knit me..lol :)

6:26 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

This post both warmed and saddened my heart. I did not know. Lovely square, and beautiful thought too.

6:35 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Oh, how lovely. What a wonderful thing to do.

3:37 PM  
Blogger skiingweaver said...

An absolutely lovely thing to do to cheer up someone who has received some really awful news. (I didn't know that he's a knitter!) Really, fiber people are just so generous... Good on all of you.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home