3.21.2007

A series of halves

Thank you all for the helpful and nice comments about my new banner! I agree, it is a bit too wide vertically but I’m at a bit of a loss for how to make it narrower without simultaneously shortening the image length-wise. So, after trimmed and tweaked off a bit more width, I’m going to call it good until I can think of a solution.
In the mean time, here are my two weeks of halves.
It all started off well enough. While Occam the Laptop was off for repairs, I finished half of Veste Everest, intended as a gift for my mother on the event of her 60th birthday Mother’s Day 2006 Christmas 2006 her 61st birthday Mother’s Day 2007, though I may have jinxed myself again right there.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I also finished half of a toddler mitten pair, sans embroidery as of yet, well on track to be in time for the one-year birthday of I’s niece

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

That was week one. Week one was good. And then the Knitting and Electronics gods decided that life should always be filled with a little…you know. Builds characters, and all that.
So, in week 2, the rather more important half of my pair of arms went haywire when my long ago pinched ulnar nerve decided to announce itself by rendering me unable to keep my right elbow bent for any length of time without numb fingers and general unhappiness of the forearm.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Enter lots of Ibuprofen and exit knitting.
Exit too the hope of a working laptop when Occam came home only half repaired. The trivial but expensive half of the repairs was done (new CD/DVD drive) while the crucial but not as expensive repair (new hard-drive) was deemed unnecessary (though of course I was amply charged for the process of deeming said repair unnecessary -- wiping the drive and reintalling the OS). As I soon discovered, the crucial repair was necessary after all (and perhaps not even sufficient to fix all the problems) as poor Occam went from normal to hobbling to this in a few days.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I’m happy to say that this week is going a little better (knock on wood…could the good/bad weeks be following some sort of sinusoidal wave?). I’m starting to get more use out of my arm, enough to do short bursts of knitting, as I did in those silly effects pictures last post. I may also be able to get most of my repair dollars refunded. And, there’s this (thank goodness for fellowship funding).
Meet Sirius*.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm quite besotted.

*Not after Sirius Black, fond as I am of the character, but after Sirius the Dog Star from Dogsbody, a favorite book I wax poetic about whenever given the chance, written by the incomparable Diana Wynne Jones and if you haven’t read it, then by by God why are you not off right this instant hunting down a copy to start?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay for fellowship $$! I am quite besotted with Sirius as well. One thought about trimming, did you use photoshop? You could probably go with a wider banner shot and just hack off a bit off the top if you wanted to, though I rather like the banner as you have it now, not too big not to "look at me-ish". And I am now routing out a copy of the Dogsbody as it looks like something that I can actually finish in a reasonable amount of time!

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, your comment about your mom's vest made me laugh. That's just the way it goes sometimes, doesn't it?

I'll have to check out that book, I have enjoyed her writing.

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home